The Nintendo 3DS has gotten a lot of flack and praise this year. Nintendo’s newest and most ambitious handheld to date has been the butt of many a joke as well as the star of many a nerd’s wet dreams. There was plenty to talk about this year with the major complaint I heard about the device being the lack of worthwhile titles for its $250 price tag. The August price drop was little consolation for those who bought the system at the midnight release like I did, but I was able to calm myself when I found out I would be getting 20 free games and be titled a “3DS Ambassador”. Well isn’t that just crazy?
But did the Ambassador games live up to the hype? Were they worth the $40 that would have been deducted from the price of the device? The 10 games in question are: Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Jr., Balloon Fight, Ice Climber, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, NES Open Tournament Golf, Yoshi, and Wrecking Crew.
Super Mario Bros.
-Everyone who has ever heard of Video Games has to have heard of Super Mario Bros. It’s the game that single-handedly brought gaming back from the Video Game crash of 1983…and it’s not bringing anything back on the 3DS. The controls are a bit floaty and hard to handle with the 3DS D-pad, and I tried to work with the thumb stick but that just made it worse. Super Mario Bros. is one of the reasons why Video Games today exist, but it’s not the reason for me to own a 3DS…Next.
Donkey Kong Jr.
– This is an old school arcade game that’s actually still fun to play. In Donkey Kong Jr. you play DK’s baby boy trying to save his daddy from the evil…Mario? Yup. Mario is the villain in this one. Would I consider that worth my money? A little bit, yeah.
– Now Balloon Fight is a sleeper but sadly I’ve been burnt out on games similar to it. It’s basically Mario Bros. with balloons, but truthfully, I don’t think that it’s a bad game. Unfortunately I don’t think it’s a good game, either. It’s decent, but I’d rather have had a price cut. Next.
– Fuck. This. Game. Ice Climber is not a clever name, it’s literally a game about ice climbers. Why, Nintendo? Why make this game? It’s the most pointless game ever. Fuck Nintendo for even deciding to make this game, let alone making the stupid characters relevant in Smash Bros. Get them away from me. At all times.
The Legend of Zelda
– Now I may get a bit of flack for this, but I can see the age on this game right here. Playing it was just very boring to me. It’s the first Zelda and it’s a classic and all of that but truthfully it’s just not that good anymore. It’s given a whole lot to gaming as we know it but I just can’t bring myself to play it, especially on the 3DS. Maybe If I were playing it on the NES or Virtual Console, but my statement still stands. I don’t find it to be that good anymore.
– Metroid, the game that created isolation in video games and gave us one of our most famous female heroines, Samus Aran, actually holds up on the 3DS. You get a pass, Samus…For now.
Zelda II: The Adventures of Link
– Now this is a Zelda game on the NES. Fast paced action, challenging dungeons and enemies and the sidescrolling just makes it that much more fun. I loved Zelda II as a kid and it’s well worth it on the 3DS as well.
NES Open Tournament Golf
– …It’s Golf…NEXT.
– Yay! Yoshi! This game was released in 1991 for the NES. For some reason they decided to make this one not on the SNES. I truthfully don’t know why, but I’m not here to judge which system it comes out on! Or am I? Bah! Anyway. Yoshi is a simple puzzle game with everyone’s favorite second wheel! Now if only I could ride one…:(
– Why this game is the last of the ambassador games I have absolutely no idea. It’s just a game where Mario and Luigi go and break objects with a large hammer. It’s just not very appealing whatsoever. Fun Fact: This was the second Mario game to be released before Super Mario Bros, the first being Donkey Kong.
Overall I was less than impressed with the games I was given for the first 10 NES Ambassador games. I love Metroid and Zelda II, some games were just butchered like Super Mario Bros. and so help me god if they ever try to make any human being play Ice Climber again…
Stay tuned later this week to find out what my opinion was on the 3DS Game Boy Advance Ambassador Games. Until then, I’m your friendly neighboorhood Thief, signing off!